ARMAND'S RANCHO DEL CIELO PAGES

▼

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Popular Science National Park Guide For Beginners

Above, The Organ at Zion National Park. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

For those who have never been to a U.S. national park or for those who have but who can benefit with some helpful tips, Popular Science has posted a beginner's guide to visiting national parks.

They start with:

Summer is almost here, and for many Americans, that means it’s time to start planning that long-awaited road trip. With 237 million visitors in 2020, national parks are some of the most popular destinations for this kind of travel, as they provide a unique opportunity to connect with nature while being socially distanced at the same time. But there are nuances that can make or break your visit to a national park, and they don’t reveal themselves until you’re actually there—which can be too late.

On my first trip to Zion National Park in Utah, I expected serene hikes with birds chirping among towering red rock. Instead, I found myself surrounded by crowds packing into shuttles; the vibe more theme park than nature-y. 

Although I left feeling a bit underwhelmed, my second visit to Zion, during the off-season, was a completely different experience. I arrived the week before peak-season shuttle service began, allowing me to tour the park in my own vehicle. I camped on-site, rolling out of bed early for hikes, and experienced the Zion I had imagined—tranquil and sublime. 

They say hindsight is 20/20. Here’s hoping by borrowing ours you can plan a memorable trip.

To read more, go here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment