ARMAND'S RANCHO DEL CIELO PAGES

▼

Monday, December 6, 2021

Thank Goodness For Space Heaters

Above, the propane truck arrived to fill the tank. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Today started out normally until I started feeling cold.

So, I went to turn the thermostat up. After a while, I noticed no change and my thermometer in the kitchen read 50°. I had the thermostat set at 75°. It was in the 20s outside.

At first, I thought the heating unit (a Coleman propane model) had dirty filters that could affect the heater, which it did. I cleaned them off (I'll get new ones Wednesday). That had no effect.

After trying different things to get the heater to work, I contacted a HVAC guy in Gallup and set up an appointment.

At least I was able to keep myself and Sierra warm with a space heater.

I don't remember why I did this, but I went into the kitchen to turn on a burner on the stove. Nothing happened. The igniters were working on all burners but no propane was coming out to ignite. 

A-ha! That was the problem! I was out of propane. I cancelled the HVAC service call.

My account with the propane supplier in Gallup was current (paid last in early November) and apparently I received no deliveries for some time. So I called them and gave them hell.

Within an hour, a propane truck showed up an filled the tank. And later, a technician showed up to re-light the pilot lights to the water heater, stove and heater and perform a Propane Safety Check.  The bill the driver gave me was a whopper: nearly $600. But, if I pay the bill by December 16, the price would be discounted down to $571. I mailed the check today.

What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment