"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Tokyo Cheapo's Guide To Mobile Wi-Fi

Above, my room at the Niigata Dormy Inn with my laptop on the desk. Alas, I couldn't use the room's
Internet connection as the plugs were incompatible with my laptop. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Japan may be one of the most high-tech countries in the world, but when it comes to having Wi-Fi (free or otherwise), they are a bit behind.

However, they are catching up (even more so now that they've landed the Olympic Games for 2020) with the rest of the world.

During my last trip to Japan, I had no problem concerning Wi-Fi. The hotel I stayed at in Ueno, the Tsukuba Hotel, had free Wi-Fi. At least they made it into the 21st Century. There was also Wi-Fi at Toho Studios that Jonathan Bellés made use of during his interview sessions.

That was not the case in 2010 when I was in Tokyo and Niigata. Both hotels I stayed at had free Internet, but the connecting plugs were not compatible with my laptop computer. I had to resort to using the coin-operated computers at the Tokyo hotel and the Niigata hotel's two free computers in the lobby to get online.

The only places where I was able to use my laptop for the Internet were at Starbucks Coffee or Tully's Coffee in both cities.

Funny thing, in 2007, I was able to get a Wi-Fi connection in Kumamoto at the ryokan I stayed at.

Tokyo Cheapo has posted an article on where to get connected.

They wrote:
Arriving in Tokyo, you may be excited to see all the cool high tech stuff that’s just a part of everyday life here in the eastern capital. But then when you stop in at a café and pull out your phone to update everyone on all the things you’re eating, seeing, and the ways you’re winning at life… there’s no wifi. What the–? Yup, while it’s getting better, Tokyo is still not a very connected city in terms of public wifi. Read on for cheapo tips and tricks on catching a signal while in Tokyo.
 To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog