"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, November 3, 2014

The Mystery of Dad's Lock Box Solved

Above, a World War II German CZ Pistole Modell 27. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Today, I finally did something that took me around 15 years to get to. Curiosity finally got to me.

I inherited a lock box from my dad, who passed away 15 years ago of cancer. It had been sitting in my apartment since then. My mom could not locate the key to it and I went through all of my dad's keys, but the key to the box was not among them.

I decided to go to a local locksmith to have him open up the lock box and make a new key.

I had no idea what was in the lock box. Was it money? Was it rare coins? Documents? Savings bonds? Or some other collectible?

When the locksmith opened the box, the contents turned out to be three semi-automatic pistols with their magazines. I was surprised that there were guns in the box, I thought I had my dad's guns all accounted for. And, I shook the box and nothing metallic any noise.

Above, the P.Beretta 635 cal. Brevet (Model 418). Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Two of the three are actually collectible guns: One is a mid-World War II vintage German CZ Pistole Modell 27, 7.65 cal. It is in very good condition. Ballpark value is around $400-450. The other is a P.Beretta 635 cal. Brevet (Model 418) with a date stamp of 1953. Value around $300, depending on condition.

Above, the Jenning Firearms Model J-22. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The third is a cheap Jennings Firearms Model J-22 .22 cal. Hardly worth more than scrap metal. About $50 to $125 in value.

Well, at least there wasn't any useless paper inside the box.

1 comment:

Jay! said...

The CZ is actually Czech made. Are there "Nazi" proof marks on it (Little "eagle" stampings.)? The German military made it a practice to carry any available handguns from occupied countries.

From the photo it looks to be "roughly" finished making it a late production wartime example.

Beware the Jennings. I had an early production example and they had sear trouble. Mine went off twice merely by manipulating the slide. Got rid of the darn thing.

It pays to ALWAYS having a gun pointed in a safe direction while cleaning or at the range.

Search This Blog