"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, September 5, 2016

RV Gets A "Close Shave" By Low Bridge

Above, The Beast in front of my apartment building. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Recently, someone began a discussion at the iRV2 Forum asking if anyone had measured the height of their RVs. Included in the discussion thread was a video posted at YouTube of a motorhome attempting to drive under a 11'8" bridge with disasterous results

Most of the responses were in the affirmative, but there were some, like me, who relied on the owner's manual that states their RV's height.

After seeing the YouTube video below, I did a "re-think" on this and went outside yesterday to measure the actual height of The Beast, including the roof air conditioner unit. As President Reagan used to say, "Trust, but verify!" I really don't like heights, and getting up on the roof was unnerving, to say the least. But I got it done.

The actual height of The Beast is under 11 feet, including the air conditioner, which matched what my owner's manual stated. But it is better to be safe than sorry.

After completing the measurements, I got a piece of Scotch Magic Mending Tape and wrote (with a black Sharpie) "11' Clearance" on it and taped it to the upper left corner of my windshield. So, if I come across a bridge that may look too low, I can look at The Beast's measurements at a glance.

Here's the video of some unfortunate motorhome owner:




Although The Beast would have cleared the bridge with eight inches to spare, I still would not have attempted going through.

No comments:

Search This Blog