"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Little Tokyo's Oshogatsu 2017

Above, the opening ceremony of the breaking of sake barrels. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

For the first time in three years, I went to the Little Tokyo section of Los Angeles for their New Year's Day Oshogatsu festival.

Since parking is somewhat difficult, I got there early and immediately found a parking lot with plenty of spaces.

From there, I headed over to Japanese Village for something to eat. After having some coffee with a Japanese pastry, I wandered around for a bit and then headed to Weller Court where the opening ceremonies and entertainment takes place.

At Weller Court, I ran into my former boss, former Assemblyman Paul Bannai. who is about 95 years old now. He still is active, although slowed a bit. The last time I saw him was at the 2014 Oshogatsu in Little Tokyo. He is still busy taking pictures with his Canon camera (he noticed that I had a Canon camera with me).

I also had a discussion with the staff of the Rafu Shimpo Japanese newspaper. We may be collaborating on something in the near future concerning Japanese pop culture.

I headed into Kinokuniya Bookstore and purchased a Blu-ray of Godzilla 2000, which included both the U.S. and Japanese versions. From there, I went to the Kimono Ya store and bought a small Bandai Godzilla 2004 figure.

After making my purchase, I walked about 75 yards to the stage area to watch the opening ceremonies and a performance of a taiko drum group. The opening ceremonies included a flyover by a LAPD helicopter and the breaking of two sake barrels.

Following the ceremonies, I headed back to Japanese village and had a teriyaki beef bowl for lunch and then headed to browse around the Anime Jungle store.

For some reason, I usually have better years when I attend the Oshogatsu festival in Little Tokyo. Maybe I'm superstitious. But, at my age, I need all the help I can get.

Some photos of Oshogatsu:

Above, the Daily Planet Building (i.e., Los Angeles City Hall). Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the Challenger memorial outside of Weller Court. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, Japanese Village before the crowds arrived. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a gent in Imperial Japanese army garb. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, yours truly with a familiar Japanese celebrity. 

Above, former California State Assemblyman Paul T. Bannai at the Anime Jungle display. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the Nisei Week queen and her court. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the crowd at the opening ceremonies. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, taiko drum performance. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

For more photos, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog