"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Japan Mini-Vacation


Above, the Asahi Beer Headquarters across the Sumida River from Asakusa.

A Japan Mini-Vacation

(Originally published in G-FAN #75, Spring 2006)

Text and photos Copyright and by Armand Vaquer

After getting my daughter a car and off to college this past summer, it was time to unwind and treat myself to a vacation. My obvious first choice was to head back to Japan. So, on October 15 [2005] I headed off for a vacation to Japan.

Since my last trip to Japan was with last year's G-TOUR, which was pre-planned and structured as an organized tour should be, I decided that I would just go to Tokyo and explore places that I haven't seen or just re-visit some familiar haunts. Since I only had a week's worth of vacation time, I tried to get as much in as possible. It was basically whatever I was in the mood to do. The weather was cool, but rainy on some days. Still it was worth it.

Asakusa's Nakamise Ave.


Above, Japanese schoolgirls are among the throngs of shoppers at Nakamise Ave. in Asakusa, Tokyo.

First, after checking into the Tsukuba Hotel in the Ueno section of Tokyo Sunday night, I went to Asakusa's Nakamise Avenue to do some shopping on Monday morning. We briefly stopped there during G-TOUR and I wanted to see more of it. While there, I bought a foot-tall Godzilla 2004 figure that roars, makes stomping noises and has dorsal spikes that light up with sound effects of Godzilla's oral ray, explosions and artillery shells. I also found some gifts for family members. Despite being rainy out, it was an enjoyable day. The stores were decorated in autumn colors. I found a statue of Ultraman guarding the front of the ROX department store in Asakusa. The store also has an Ultraman department where fans can buy Ultraman-related products.

Wandering around Tokyo.

Next on the agenda was a Tuesday morning visit to the offices of Kadokawa Herald Pictures, Inc. in Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo to discuss the new Gamera movie now in production and to pick up the film's official press kit. Chiyoda-ku was an area of Tokyo that I never visited before, so it was an extra treat to enjoy the sights of this section of the city. I also paid a visit to the New Otani Hotel for a coffee break and to get out of the rain. The staff at the New Otani provided a map to the building that Kadokawa is located. They were a big help. As Richard Pusateri once said, "Describing [or in this case, finding] a location in Tokyo is like trying to swim the ocean." This is definitely a first-class hotel!

Kadokawa's offices were nicely decorated with posters of their films and had a friendly and cooperative staff. I gave them a copy of G-FAN for their records during my visit.

After my business with Kadokawa Herald Pictures was completed, I decided to make a trek to the Bandai Museum. The museum was next door to the Matsudo train station on the Joban Line.

Unfortunately, I found the museum closed that day and the next. So, I would have to return two days later to see the museum. It wasn't a wasted trip as I enjoyed seeing this section of Tokyo for the first time. After lunch near the Matsudo station, I headed to Shibuya and then Nakano to see what G-products the toy stores at the Broadway Mall had to offer. Unfortunately, they didn't have much. It seemed that the toy stores in Asakusa had a lot more G-toys to offer than did Nakano.

Following Nakano, I headed a few train stations down to meet up with fellow G-FAN contributor Daisuke Ishizuka for dinner in Kichijoji at a very nice Japanese restaurant there. As Yoshikazu Ishii was busy making a movie, he could not join us for dinner.

Down the Sumida River.



On Wednesday, I decided to make it a more leisurely day and took a boat cruise down the Sumida River. The weather was clear that day, which made the cruise very pleasant. The water taxi station was located at Asakusa and across the river from the Asahi Beer Headquarters. The cruise down the river took me to the Hama Rikyu Garden. Sights included Tokyo Tower and the bridge (above) that Godzilla knocked over in 1954 along with views of Odaiba. After exploring the Garden for a while, I made the return cruise up the Sumida back to Asakusa. The cruise was a pleasant one, although the company running it tried their hardest to sell snacks and toy models of their boats to the passengers.

I also had another, but unexpected, "ride" that night. A 6.2 earthquake hit around 9:00 PM and shook up Tokyo pretty good. I was relaxing in my hotel room when it hit. Since the epicenter was about 60 miles away, there were no injuries or damage. It was interesting watching the news reports on the quake and seeing it recorded by cameras positioned thoughout the city. Nothing like making a Californian feel right at home!

Visiting Toho International and Bandai Museum.

I paid a Thursday morning visit to Toho International in Hibiya Park to see our old friend and former Toho Los Angeles General Manager Masaharu Ina. As I got into Ginza/Hibiya Park about forty-five minutes early, I wandered over to the square where the Godzilla statue stands and where metal relief casts of movie stars (Japan's version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame) are set in the pavement around the statue. Several news crews surrounded a newly placed hand cast (of a Korean movie star) a few yards from the Godzilla statue and right next to Tom Cruise's (placed in 2004 following his film, The Last Samurai). I took out my camcorder and was recording the proceedings when I noticed that several cameras were aimed at me. I was then interviewed by a camera crew. I was asked if I am a Tom Cruise fan ("Not particularly," was my reply). I did manage to pull out a copy of the current issue of G-FAN and gave it a "shameless plug." Somewhere in Japan or Korea, G-FAN was proudly displayed on television!

When I got to Toho International's offices, Mr. Ina and I discussed the Godzilla franchise and enjoyed the view from the conference room of the Imperial Palace. Mr. Ina decorated the conference room with many Godzilla items as he did with the Toho Los Angeles office conference room. I gave Mr. Ina a copy of my video of Godzilla's Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony from November 2004. Before leaving, I was able to briefly visit former L.A. sales manager Tetsushi Sudo, who is now also working at Toho International. They were in the midst of getting ready for the Tokyo International Film Festival that was scheduled to open the following week. I was invited to attend their screenings, but I was due to depart from Japan before the festival began.



Since I learned how to get to the Bandai Museum (above) a couple of days before, it was a simple matter to go back there again to finally see the inside. I have to confess, it was impressive. The museum sits right next to the Matsuda Station (there's plenty of signs in the station pointing the way to the museum, so a visitor can't possibly get lost) and occupies several floors. Each floor has its own theme. One floor would have Ultraman displays. Another floor would have Gundam displays. And so on. Of course, I was most interested in the Godzilla displays and I was not disappointed. The museum is the Character's Hall of Fame and their History With Bandai Since 1950.


Above, Ultraman goes to battle at the Bandai Museum.

In the Ultraman section, there is a glass display case with all of the varieties of Ultraman helmets. All of Bandai's Ultraman toys are lined up along walls thoughout. In the Godzilla section, all of the Bandai Godzilla toys Bandai produced are lined up in display cases. There is also an actual Godzilla prop (below) used during a water scene in Godzilla x Megaguirus. One other Godzilla prop was the giant foot used in the scene in GMK where Godzilla crushes an occupied restroom.



On the Gundam floor (7th Floor), visitors can pose for pictures (for a few yen, photo below) in uniform provided by the museum (that is, if you can fit in one. Luckily, I did.) on the Gundam Lift. (I was able to remain in email contact with friends back in North America as my hotel had free Internet access. While doing so, Stan Hyde challenged me to get on the Gundam Lift in uniform, so that's how that came about.) If one should get hungry, food is served at the Gundam Cafe (8th Floor). Gundam toys can be bought at the G-Base gift shop, also on the 8th Floor. There is also a section where capsule toys can be purchased called Gashapon World. Godzilla toys can be purchased at another gift shop on the 5th Floor. I purchased the Bandai Museum King Goji figure while there. If you should ever take a trip to Japan, I would highly recommend a visit to the Bandai Museum. Before you go, be sure to call first to find out whether it is open that day or not. Their phone number is 047-331-7501. [Note: The Bandai Museum was closed down the following year.]



Roppongi.

Friday was set aside as a more leisurely day. I spent most of the day wandering around the Roppongi section of Tokyo and had lunch at T.G.I. Friday's, the location of our G-TOUR dinner in 2004. I visited the Hard Rock Cafe in Roppongi and picked up a few items in their gift shop.

Later that evening, I decided to wander around Asakusa to see what it was like at night. The temple and Nakamise Ave. were beautifully lit. Since the rains ended the day before, it was nice to explore the area without having to worry about getting drenched. The "flame" sculpture atop the Asahi Beer Headquarters was lit up and could be clearly seen for miles.

Yokohama and the Landmark Tower.

Saturday was my last full day in Japan, so I decided to take the Tokaido Line down to Yokohama for the day. My visit to Yokohama included the waterfront section along with the shopping districts. As it was a Saturday, many of the shopping districts had street fairs going on. The topper was a visit to the Landmark Tower's observation deck. The elevator in the Landmark Tower is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as being the fastest in Japan. It was very comfortable riding it and the only noticable thing was the ear-popping when higher levels were reached. The elevator cars are egg-shaped to be more aerodynamic.



Although it was overcast out, the views from the Tower's observation deck (above) were spectacular. On clear days, Mt. Fuji can be clearly seen. 360-degree views can be seen from the deck. In case you were wondering, there were no photos of Mothra sitting atop the Tower from GMK to be seen. In total, I must have done six miles' worth of walking in Yokohama. Great exercise!

After returning to Tokyo that afternoon, I rested up for a while before I headed back to Roppongi that evening for a little nightclubbing to finish off the week before heading back to Los Angeles the next day.

All in all, despite some rainy days, my week's vacation in Japan was an enjoyable one. I was able to see some old friends and meet some new ones. I was also able to visit places in and around Tokyo that I hadn't seen before. You really can't beat Japan for their hospitality. If you've never been to Japan, you should do yourself a favor and take a vacation there. Perhaps this article will give you some ideas!

No comments:

Search This Blog