"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Weekend

Tonight I am enjoying a restful evening at home. I spent most of today taking care of business (my daughter's taxes, picking up my paycheck, paying bills, grocery shopping, etc.). I rewarded myself with a sushi dinner at Crazy Tokyo Sushi. Tomorrow should be more laid back.

The only thing (outside of work) I did on Easter Sunday was to take my daughter Amber to lunch. We had a good time and we also perused CD Trader, where new and used DVDs and CDs can be bought at low cost. While there, I picked up the new Jimi Hendrix album, Valleys of Neptune. I'll write up a review of it later.

I've completed my first full week at the new job in Malibu last night. The scenery is great and I've been able to witness some beautiful sunsets.

Unfortunately, the weekend was marred by a fatal accident on Pacific Coast Highway and Heathercliff Road in Malibu Saturday night.

According to KABC-TV Channel 7 News:

MALIBU, Calif. (KABC) -- A 26-year-old man was behind bars Monday in connection with a weekend crash that killed a 13-year-old girl on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

YouTube image.

A memorial of flowers marks the point on PCH where 13-year-old Emily Rose Shane took her last step. Friends say the teen was a ray of sunshine and always made others laugh. Her older sister Leigh visited the memorial to grieve with friends.

"She's so loved and I know wherever she is I know that she knows everyone loved her so much and her loss is so tragic because she was so young," said Leigh.

Deputies say that Emily had just left a friend's house Saturday at 5:11 p.m. and was walking northbound on the 29000 block of Pacific Coast Highway when she was struck by a blue 2008 four-door Mitsubishi Lancer, driven by 26-year-old Sina Khankhanian of Winnetka.

According to authortities, Khankhanian's car then hit a power pole and overturned after striking the teenager.

A preliminary investigation at the scene suggests that Khankhanian may have deliberately caused his car to crash, but authorities don't think he was aiming at the teenager.


I saw the accident scene shortly after it happened. The police shut down PCH at Heathercliff to conduct their accident investigation and for power company workers to repair the damaged power equipment. The responsible party's vehicle was on its side and looked pretty flattened.

The highway was still shut down when I headed home at 1:00 am. I had to take some side roads to go around the accident site.

Yesterday afternoon, I passed by the site and saw the growing floral memorial for Emily Shane.

It was interesting driving around Malibu. The rainstorm that came in last night sent hundreds of toads on the road. I did my best to avoid squishing any. It was also interesting driving home last night down Malibu Canyon Road in the rain. I was more concerned about rockslides than the road. Fortunately, there were only minor rockslides and those were confined to the opposing side of the road.

No comments:

Search This Blog