"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Club Mecca Murders In Los Angeles

Above, the Los Angeles Times front page coverage of the murders.


The crime was called the "biggest mass-murder" in Los Angeles at the time. Some would say that the crime is "tame" by today's standards. Perhaps. But it was a shocker to the city's residents at the time, including members of my family.

Club Mecca was a small neighborhood bar located at 5841 S. Normandie Ave. About 21 people were inside the bar on the night of April 4, 1957. The bar, 25 feet square, exploded in flames when four men entered shortly before midnight, angry for being ejected from the bar earlier, with a can of gasoline and a match. The result was a fiery holocaust.

Five men and one woman died, and the others survived. One of those killed was Anthony M. “Tony” Smaldino, 27, an assistant pressman, Korean War veteran and former Golden Gloves contender.



Smaldino was a friend of my dad, aunts and uncles. Back in the 1950s, they all hung out together at Los Angeles boxing gyms. My dad boxed in the Army during the Korean War. Although Los Angeles was a large city, the boxing/wrestling/judo enthusiast community was tight-knit and everyone knew everyone. [My dad met television's Superman, George Reeves at a gym. Reeves was keeping in shape for the show by practicing judo.] My uncle Tony was also a boxer. Through them, my aunts also became friends with Smaldino.

Smaldino's funeral was held at St. Brigid's Catholic Church, with 300 people attending. Smaldino was buried at Calvary Cemetery in East Los Angeles.

The killers were caught and brought to justice. Those who were given death sentences later had their sentences commuted to life in prison by Gov. Edmund G. "Pat" Brown.

Today, Smaldino's name occasionally comes up at family gatherings. The former location of Club Mecca is now a vacant lot.

Below, a memorial ad that was placed in the Los Angeles Times last April.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbara Spenilli was my mother. She later married Larry Fenton the bartender at the time. I just wanted to let you know that although my mom survived, I share in your loss.
Mike

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing this story on the radio. I was 15 that year. This story haunted me than as it does today.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous I was 10 yrs old at the time, and it seems that with this one horrific act my fairy-tale, candy land, fairy tale world came to an crashing halt. So sad. So haunting, even to this day.

Unknown said...

My grandfather was Harry "Spy" Robinson. He hung around at the Club Mecca. My parents owned a beer joint around the corner and were in talks to buy the Club Mecca.

Anonymous said...

Tony Smaldino was family to me. I was just 4 when he died, but my father told me his story. Very tragic. I share in the loss of the victims with their families.

Search This Blog