"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, January 30, 2012

Joyce Compton - "Scared To Death"



While perusing the Classic Horror Film Board forum this morning, I came across a thread on the movie Scared To Death starring Bela Lugosi and George Zucco.

This jogged a memory of the 1980s when I met actress Joyce Compton (January 27, 1907 – October 13, 1997), who was in the movie's cast. I posted this on the thread:

Back in the 1980s, I was a member of the Laurel & Hardy group "Sons of the Desert." The L.A. group, "Way Out West" tent, held a banquet at the Sportsman's Lodge in Studio City. In attendance were such luminaries as Hal Roach, Sr., Hank Worden and others.





I found myself fortunate to be seated next to Joyce Compton, who was a co-star of Scared To Death. When we were seated, I looked at her name tag and said, "Joyce Compton! I remember you in Scared To Death!" She was so thrilled (or "tickled to death") that I remembered her in the movie.

We had a nice chat about Bela. Good times!


Scared To Death was a melodrama produced in 1947 and was the only color movie with Lugosi in a leading role.

According to Wikipedia:

Scared to Death (1947) is a horror film directed by Christy Cabanne and starring Bela Lugosi. It was filmed in Cinecolor, is one of only three color pictures Lugosi made, and the only one he starred in. The film is notable for its narration by a dead woman — she describes the events leading up to her death.


The dead woman gives her narration from a coroner's slab.

No comments:

Search This Blog