"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, January 9, 2012

Airbus A380 Should Be Grounded, Say Engineers



A news item caught my attention while perusing Drudgereport.com.

It concerns the (relatively) new Airbus A380 super-jumbo jet. The first A380 went into service in October 2007 with Singapore Airlines. The maximum seating capacity of the A380 is 853 passengers.

According to the United Kingdom's Daily Mail:

Australian aircraft engineers have called for Airbus A380 - the world's biggest passenger aircraft - to be grounded, after Singapore Airlines and Qantas found cracks in the wings of their super-jumbos.
'We can't continue to gamble with people's lives and allow those aircraft to fly around and hope that they make it until their four-yearly inspection,' said Steve Purvinas, secretary of the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association.

Both airlines, and Airbus, admitted that they had discovered cracks, but maintained that the aircraft were safe. In total, 67 Airbus A380s are in use worldwide, on seven airlines. The aircraft are in use by Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Air France, Lufthansa, Korean Airlines and China Southern.


I can't say I'm surprised. The A380 is huge. I saw one fly-by while I was en route to Narita Airport last year. When it first came out, a friend who used to work for Boeing said at the time, "I wouldn't fly in one of those things!"

I wouldn't either.

I've always felt that there will come a time when the threshold is reached where an aircraft's size, weight and in-flight aerodynamic pressures will render it unsafe to use. I suspect that the A380 reached that threshold.

I agree with the Australian engineers. It should be grounded before one breaks apart in-flight with 853 people on board.

To read the full article, go here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specifically the last part :) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.
Sony Ericsson Hi-Fi Bluetooth Stereo Headset with FM Radio

Search This Blog