"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Getting Things Done

Yesterday, February 24 marked the 40th day since my mom's passing. How is that significant, you may ask? Well, in California, if a person doesn't name a beneficiary in their bank accounts, they are put on a 40-day hold. For some reason, my mom didn't name a beneficiary.

At 40 days, the executor or beneficiary (via the will) can to come in with a copy of the death certificate and file a notarized affidavit stating that the estate is under $100,000. Some banks may require a copy of the will, this one didn't.

It took a little time to get the paperwork processed and the bank management to approve everything, but it went smoother than I expected. In opening a new account, I made sure my daughter was named beneficiary. Besides her name and date of birth, they needed her social security number. I tried calling her but she was probably in class. Fortunately, she is on file with the bank for a student loan and they obtained the social security number from that. A lucky break!

I was able to draw out enough to pay off several of my mom's bills, including her credit cards, phone, newspaper and cable (it turns out I overpaid by $120, but they'll refund it). I think the only outstanding bill is probably the electric bill.

That out of the way, I did receive in the mail yesterday a breakdown of the Tarzana Medical Center hospital charges from Blue Shield and they exceeded $140,000. But, the notice indicated that at the time of the charges, my mom wasn't a member of Blue Shield. Huh?

Alarmed, I called them and they said not to worry, everything's been paid (Whew!) and I will expect to be billed or the co-pays for the hospitalization ($50/day) and paramedics ($100). That was a big relief!

Now, all I have to do is concentrate on getting the taxes done. I am concerned that I may not have all the documents to do a complete tax return for my mom. I guess if something turns up, I can always file an amended return. From the beginning, when we cleaned out her apartment, I kept all the important papers in one place.

I'll sure be glad when all this business stuff is settled and this emotional roller-coaster ends.

I am still having a hassle in getting my mom's rent deposit returned. But we're making progress there. The building management is worried that if they pay it, some bozo would come out of the woodwork making a claim. They are acting as if this involves thousands of dollars.

Today, I have to obtain the funds to reimburse my aunt for the loan for my mom's funeral and burial expenses.

It is a good feeling when things are actually getting done!

No comments:

Search This Blog