"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Relaxing Weekend

Above, The Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon in Lake Elsinore.

A Relaxing Weekend

After weeks of stress from my mom’s final illness and passing in December-January, I was able to kick back and relax this weekend at my cousin Maria’s in Wildomar (near Lake Elsinore). Amber couldn't get the weekend off from work to also come down.

The order of the weekend was just to relax and do nothing. The drive from the San Fernando Valley to Wildomar was generally easy, if you want to call driving in a rainstorm “easy.” For the most part it was a good drive with only one snarl in the Pomona area where a few people collectively had a fender-bender. I took eastbound California Route 60 for the majority of the drive. There were several accidents on the westbound side of the freeway, proving once again that Southern California drivers can’t seem to master driving in the rain. As I always caution my daughter, watch your speed and distance between vehicles and all will be okay.

Once getting into Wildomar, the skies cleared a little, although occasional cloudbursts would still pass through.



I spent most of the day talking, reading and napping. That night, I was treated to a birthday dinner with my cousin, her husband Fred and my aunt Gloria at The Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon (above) in Lake Elsinore. I had the best steak in ages there. The Lone Star is a fun place to eat. Every hour, the waitresses and waiters would stop what they’re doing and put on a Texas-style dance show for the customers.

Above, Maria and me.

I was wondering if there’s a Lone Star Steakhouse in the San Fernando Valley, but there isn’t. The nearest one is in Long Beach.

Speaking of birthdays, Maria’s birthday is today (she’s only three days younger than me). When possible, we try to celebrate our birthdays together in some fashion.

Above, one of my mom's gnomes at his new home in Wildomar.

After dinner, we headed back to Maria’s house and watched the L.A. Lakers beat Portland. After the game, we watched a DVD of the relatively new 2012 end-of-the-world disaster flick by the director of Independence Day. It was entertaining, although I liked ID4’s characters much better. The special effects were spectacular, which were primarily computer-generated. I would have preferred miniatures. CGI can look good if used sparingly, but still seems too phony or cartoony to me after a while.

Of the Roland Emmerich movies I’ve seen, I would list Independence Day as the best, with 2012 a close second and Godzilla at the bottom.

Above, as I am an early riser, my cousin's four cats volunteered me into feeding them. Here's three of them.

Today, we all had a big breakfast at a local Wildomar eatery, Big Jim's.

Above, Maria's daughter Ashley and her daughter Crista at Big Jim's.

Before heading for home, I stopped at Ashley's house to see my mom's parakeet "Baby" (below) to see how he's doing at his new home. He is doing very well and Ashley's husband Tony has already trained him to sit on his finger, and he's only been there two weeks. Mom would be very pleased.



After this, I had to head back home. I’ve two hungry kitties to feed.

No comments:

Search This Blog