"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reminded Me of A Comic Strip I Drew...

In reading today's edition of Tony Isabella's "Tony's Online Tips" column on his good and bad experiences on attending the annual San Diego International Comic-Con, it reminded me, for some reason, of my experience of drawing a comic strip.

Tony Isabella is a comic book writer who is based in Ohio. He has worked on a number of comic books for various companies (DC, Marvel, et al.) and strips. Like anyone, he's had his ups and downs in the industry.

In his column, he relates on how he was offered a job in Los Angeles and came out to the Comic-Con to meet with the person who made the offer. His experience is recounted in his column, so I won't give it away. But it was not a happy one.

Anyway, back in the early 1990s, I responded to an ad for an artist for a comic strip to be published in a modelers' newspaper. I got the job ($30 per page was the rate). I did several pages and it was an enjoyable experience. I really learned a lot. I didn't think of it as work as I was having fun doing it.

The gig ended when I submitted my last page and received the check. The check bounced and the paper ceased publication. I never got any explanation on what happened. Apparently, the guy fell into hard times and ceased publication. But it would have been nice to get an explanation or a head's up from him.

Would I do it again? Sure. As I said, I learned a lot.

I've never been to the San Diego International Comic-Con. I probably would have about 10 years ago. It has either been a lack of funds to go or lack of time. Or both. Maybe I'll go next year just for the heck of it.

No comments:

Search This Blog