"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, February 6, 2017

Movie Indoctrination

Above, the poster for Love & Mercy, one of my suggestions.


Diane, my "honorary sister" and I were having an email chat on movies after I mentioned that I watched My Cousin Vinny (one of her favorites, since she's an attorney) yesterday. Her daughter is about to enter a police academy and she wants her to see some movies for some pop culture "education". She listed a few movies she wants her to see and asked me for some suggestions.

She said:
Any others you can think of that she must see to round out pop culture?  I have never seen most of the classics, including Casablanca and others like that, so I suppose I'm lacking also.  Dad certainly got me indoctrinated with every possible western though ;-)  

My response (after they came to the top of my head):
Pop culture? Hmm.

I saw Airplane with Caddyshack with a friend. We had a full house at the theater (I think it was Del Amo in Torrance) and everyone was roaring. I would recommend Caddyshack and Animal House (that one I can relate to since I was in a frat).

Naturally, the first 2 Godfather movies are a must, with a plate of spaghetti. The first three Dirty Harry movies. Casablanca would be a good one as would Gone With The Wind. Apocalypse Now and Taxi Driver. Bullitt with Steve McQueen. Easy Rider. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Seven Samurai or its western remake, The Magnificent Seven. For horror, the original Japanese Ringu (The Ring). For classic horror, the 1931 Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein. After seeing those, Young Frankenstein, so she would be able to understand the jokes. Another Mel Brooks classic, Blazing Saddles.

I watched Red River last night. Since your dad indoctrinated you into westerns, I'm sure you've seen She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and The Searchers? McLintock! The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
For something more recent, Love & Mercy (about Brian Wilson and my 2015 favorite) and Gran Torino.
These would all be a good start. 
Her response:
Great list!  Some of those I haven't seen either.  I definitely have to round out her education with some of these though.  One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one I had forgotten about, but she should be familiar with it.  
I'm sure I missed a few, so I am looking to friends to make some suggestions. I didn't mention any Godzilla movies as she is well aware of my "fondness" for them.

If you happen to have a kid who is not all too familiar with the "more important" movies, I would recommend these to get him/her started.

2 comments:

Glenn said...

"The Sting."

Armand Vaquer said...

Great choice! I passed it on along with "All The President's Men". - A.

Search This Blog