"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Japanese Etiquette For Tourists

Above, the Niigata Dormy Inn, where I heard ramen slurping in the restaurant.  Photo by Armand Vaquer.


The United Kingdom's The Telegraph has an article on Japanese etiquette for tourists.  It is a guide on the dos and don'ts while a tourist is Japan.

To give you an idea on what the article explains, here's one excerpt:

It may sound like common sense, but never be late for a meeting, wear a suit with a tie and never forget an ample supply of business cards – handed over and received with both hands, a shallow bow and placed carefully on the table in front of you for the duration of the meeting. It is considered dismissive if a business card is simply tucked away in one's wallet and put in a back pocket.
Thank goodness I already knew of the above when I first visited Japan in 2001.  I had an ample supply of business cards and had them in a nice brass business card holder. 

Here's another, and a fun one:

Try to ignore the loud slurping if you are in a restaurant that is serving ramen noodles as this is the accepted way to eat the dish – and great fun for children who have always been told to never slurp their meals. 
I never noticed ramen slurping until I went to Niigata in December 2010.  I was in my hotel's (the Dormy Inn) restaurant and was waiting in line for service when I heard a whole lot of slurping.  I slyly looked around and there were about 15-20 Japanese businessmen seated nearby and consuming bowls of ramen while giving off loud slurping noises.  I wasn't shocked as I knew it was customary, but I never noticed hearing it before.  It was amusing, to say the least.

To read the full article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog