"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, April 12, 2013

Monsterpalooza 2013 - Part 1

Above, the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera."

Text and photos by Armand Vaquer

Monsterpalooza 2013 was another great show!  As usual, the Burbank Marriott's convention center was packed (it will be worse on Saturday and Sunday) with many happy attendees.

I got there at about 6:00 PM this evening.  I had about a 30 minute wait in line.  Fortunately, a nice costumed gent handed out copies of the show's program, so we had something to look at.

My ad for The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan was placed in an excellent position on page 5 of the show program.  Jessie Lilley did a great job on the program and I complimented her on it and congratulated her on her induction to the Monster Kid Hall of Fame.  She said that big plans are afoot for next year in getting Haruo Nakajima inducted.

Shinichi Wakasa was there, but I didn't see him.  Bob Johnson and Jay Grymyr were there, but I didn't run into them either.  I did manage to see (or, he saw me first) kaiju toy collector Jean Carbajal as I was waiting in line to get in.  We chatted a bit.

King Kong was prominent as this year marks the 80th anniversary of the original RKO King Kong (also, it would have been my mother's 80th birthday this year).

I roamed around the show and was impressed with all the displays.  There seemed to be more realistic wax figures of horror greats at this year's show.

Here's some photos:

Above, anxious fans waiting to get into the show.

Above, a young lady getting the make-up treatment.

Above, I met with Jessie Lilley of Mondo Cult magazine.

Above, the Max Shreck "Nosferatu."


Above, Jack Nicholson in "The Shining."

No comments:

Search This Blog