"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, September 24, 2010

"Ailing" Harlan Ellison To Appear At MadCon


Love him or hate him, there is one thing that Harlan Ellison will always be remembered for (besides his literate scripts): his outspoken fight for writers' rights.

It has been revealed that Ellison is ailing and that this upcoming appearance this weekend at MadCon will be his last and it will be his "good-bye" to fans.

The Daily Page.com reports:

Due to his failing health, there had been some doubt about whether Ellison would show up in person or participate in panels, readings and other events by telephone from his home in Sherman Oaks, Calif. But at press time he affirmed he was coming. He is also adamant that MadCon will be the final convention he ever attends, in any fashion.

"The truth of what's going on here is that I'm dying," says Ellison, by phone. "I'm like the Wicked Witch of the West -- I'm melting. I began to sense it back in January. By that time, I had agreed to do the convention. And I said, I can make it. I can make it.'"


Ellison's scripts over the years certainly raised the bar on science-fiction (he prefers "speculative fiction") writing that others only can hope to aspire to. His battles with Hollywood studios over pay, residuals and other rights writers are entitled to are legendary. Losing Ellison's voice would be a tough blow.

I hope that his health rallies and he's able to continue for many years to come.

To read the full article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog