"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tokyo Sky Tree, "Overwhelming"

Right, the Tokyo Sky Tree from the Asakusa side of the Sumida river in December 2010. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

My first look at the Tokyo Sky Tree was while I was heading into Tokyo from Narita Airport aboard the Narita Express back in December 2010.

Although it was not completed, and hadn't reached its full height, the Sky Tree was already a domineering presence in Tokyo.

The Mainichi Daily News has an article on the Sky Tree posted at their online site.

In it, they wrote:

Even before it's opening, Tokyo Sky Tree is attracting the attention of sightseers. Amidst an intermittent light rain, I rode for a day on a bus tour of the tree and other sights in Tokyo's downtown areas.

To head to the tree, I got off a tour bus at Tobu Asakusa station and took a subway to Narahirabashi. As this station will lie the entrance to the tree. The station's name, held since 1931, will be changed to Tokyo Sky Tree station on Mar. 17 at the same time that the train schedule is changed.

The closer I got to the tree, the more its presence became overwhelming. Looking at it from afar, one cannot get a sense of its size. It won't open until May 22, but it already is the tallest free-standing radio tower in the world, at 634 meters.


I was in Tokyo promoting The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. I was asked more than once (although this was not used in any of the articles) by interviewers, "If Toho resumes making Godzilla movies, do you think the Sky Tree will be used?" I said yes at the time, but thinking on it now, maybe not. Since the Sky Tree is 634 meters tall, it would severely dwarf even a 100-meter Godzilla (the size he was in the movies of the 1990s). That wouldn't be too impressive to see.

I took several pictures of the Sky Tree from the Asakusa side of the Sumida River, and some more as I was riding the Narita Express to the airport. It was an overwhelming presence from every vantage point.

If you plan to visit Japan after the Sky Tree opens, be prepared to pay about $40 for admission to the tower's observation levels.

To read the full Mainichi Daily News article, go here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm typically to running a blog and i really recognize your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I'm going to bookmark
your site and preserve checking for brand new information.



My webpage: 888 poker

Search This Blog