"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weekend Reflections

Memorial Day was a good laid-back day.  We spent almost half of it sleeping.  I had some sleep to catch up on, as I worked the graveyard shift in my "parachute" job Thursday night/Friday morning in Burbank and immediately had to go to Bakersfield from there for a mandatory settlement conference on a subrogation claim.

I was thinking about going to Riverside National Cemetery but was too tired to go and didn't feel like fighting traffic (or pay $4.30/gallon of gas).

However, we did treat ourselves to steak and crab legs for dinner (with ice cream for dessert).  Following dinner, we watched two rental movies: Dinner For Schmucks and Office Space.  Those were entertaining comedies.
*******************************

It is frustrating for someone who is willing, able and eager to work, but is having a hard time getting work.

Tony Isabella is a comic book writer and columnist who created Black Lightning for DC Comics.  He's a little older than me.  We're poles apart politically, but he's a real cool guy.  He currently has a write-up on The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan in the Comics Buyers' Guide (CBG).  He's also a Godzilla fan.

His writing career has hit the doldrums of late.  It is hard enough to get work past 50, and it is even harder to get writing gigs in comics at that age.  The comic book companies seem to think that 20-to-30-year olds are what the comics writing market seems to require.  I really have to doubt this as older writers have more life experiences to tap into for great writing.

Anyway, Tony could use some writing gigs.  I like helping out friends and he's one of them.  Today, he posted at his blog:

A couple friends/readers seem to think I won’t accept work-for-hire
jobs.  That’s simply not the case.  I’m open to almost anything as
long as its work I think I can do well...that pays a decent wage or
has other benefits to make up for low pay...that doesn’t violate my
moral code.  I do believe I can do my best work when the editor’s
hand is the lightest.
 If you are in need of a writer for a comic book (or whatever), kindly give Tony Isabella a shot!  You can reach him through his blog at http://tonyisabella.blogspot.com/.
*********************************
This has been a great weekend for The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan.  On Sunday, it was reviewed by Gianni Simone in The Japan Times.  Thanks to Simone and The Japan Times!


1 comment:

Gary said...

Armand, was Bakersfield everything you dreamed it was?

Search This Blog