"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Great Chiba Blizzard of 2014

Above, yours truly waiting for the train to depart for Tokyo from Chiba Prefecture. No, this was not a selfie.

Traveling to another country is an adventure itself, but unexpected things that can and do occasionally happen make the adventure even more memorable.

That happened to me upon arrival in Japan. As we were landing, snow covered the ground at Narita International Airport in Chiba Prefecture. I didn't think too much of it at the time as it looked like a light dusting.

Things got even more interesting. After going through Immigration, baggage pick-up, Customs and currency exchange, I went downstairs to the Keisei Line ticket counter to get my ticket on the Skyliner to head into Tokyo. After that was accomplished, I headed over to the train gate to wait for my train, which was scheduled to depart at 1658 (4:58 PM).

Above, a train passenger standing out in the snow. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

There was an earlier train still at the gate. We kept waiting for it to depart and it was still there during the time my train was supposed to depart. First, we heard there was an accident of some sort. Then we heard it was delayed due to snow. Then, the train sitting there had its departure cancelled and all other upcoming Skyliner departures were cancelled. We then had to go to the ticket counter again for a refund as the regular Keisei Line's fare was different.

Above, some of my fellow passengers. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

At the counter, I turned in my ticket and got my refund with no problem. I asked what do they recommend? They said the Keisei Line was also cancelled and to go to the limousine bus counter. So I did.

At the limousine bus counter, I was told that there were no limousine buses going out. They said to go to the Keisei Line counter. So I did.

At the Keisei Line counter, I told them that I was told that there were no trains going out. They checked and said that they were still going out. So I got my ticket and beelined it to the gate.

The train arrived in a few minutes and I boarded it. We then departed for Tokyo. So far, so good.

Above and below, the train stuck at Yachiyodai Station. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Then, a few stops after departure, we noticed snow coming down. Not hard, but it was still falling. Then, at another station stop, we just sat there for about fifteen minutes. The conductor said that the delay was due to snow. As this was a limited express train, there was supposed to be fewer station stops, but due to the snow, they would stop at all of them. We then departed. A few stops later, the train sat at a station again (Yachiyodai Station) and the conductor announced that we can't go due to snow.  After an hour or two, we were told that it would take three hours for the train to be ready to depart, which would make the departure at about midnight. We were stuck in Chiba Prefecture. The snow was falling hard now.

Midnight came and went. We then were told that we won't be able to leave until it was safe. I said out loud, "Welcome to Tokyo." Quite a number of my fellow passengers, including Japanese, laughed over that. A lot of them understood English, it appears.

Above, just before dawn, passengers in my train car sleeping. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

In the meantime, it became blizzard conditions. The snow got to about six inches deep at the station (who knows how deep it was further on). Some of us, including me, didn't have a seat on the train and stood for over five hours. Then, at 1:00 in the morning, some got word that buses were available to take passengers to a school evacuation center. About half of the train's passengers went for the bus. I remained on the train. Thankfully, it was heated and by then I had a seat. So I took some nap breaks.

Above, my train (left) was joined by two more trains at Yachiyodai Station. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

At dawn, we were still sitting at the Yachiyodai Station with no word on when the train would depart for Tokyo. Some of us wandered around the station, getting food and using the restroom.  Some people were told that buses would come to take them into Tokyo. They left for the bus waiting areas. Good thing I didn't go as they stood out in the cold for over three hours. I went back to the train, at least it was toasty warm inside.

Above, workers shoveling snow from the tracks. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While we were waiting in the train car, we saw workers begin shoveling snow off the tracks. This seemed to be a good sign. Yet, we kept waiting. Eventually, a pilot train arrived to test the condition of the tracks heading to Narita International Airport to make certain that the tracks were safe to use.

Above, the night's blizzard turned the village near the station into a winter wonderland. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

We then were told that we needed go to another train to head in the direction of Narita to go to the second station down to catch a train to Tokyo (two steps back for one step forward).  This we did and we eventually got a train heading in the direction of Tokyo. Finally! And it was around 10:00 in the morning! We sat waiting for 16 hours.

Above, the Ueno section of Tokyo. The top of the Skytree is in the background. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I eventually got to my hotel on Sunday (22 hours after landing) at 2:00 PM. There was snow on the ground in Tokyo as well.

I guess this adventure could be called, "The Great Chiba Blizzard of 2014."

Obviously, that was an experience I would not want to repeat again! 

No comments:

Search This Blog