"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, February 24, 2014

Japan Needs To Prepare For Heavy Snowfalls

Above, snow covers the Keisei Line tracks in Chiba Prefecture February 9. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

My recent trip to Japan could not have been better timed for worse weather. When I arrived at Narita International Airport, the first hint that problems may be ahead came at landing. While landing, I noticed a light dusting of snow. I've seen this before (last year at Cleveland Airport) wasn't concerned about it. Little did I know that I would be stuck in a train car for 16 hours.

In Tokyo (or anywhere else), I did not see a single snow plow. I know Tokyo gets an occasional snow storm now and then, I would have thought that they would already have snow plows and other equipment available to clear the streets and train tracks. Apparently not.

I only saw one vehicle in Tokyo with chains, and that was a tour bus.

My impression of Japan, during the heavy snowstorms, was that they were caught flatfooted and unprepared. I am not the only one of this opinion.

The Japan Times has posted an editorial on Japan's snow preparedness, or rather, the lack of adequate preparation.

They wrote, in part:
Recent heavy snowfalls from the Kanto-Koshin region to Hokkaido revealed the vulnerability of areas that up to now have not experienced such heavy snowstorms. Overall snowfall across the nation has been on the decline, but severe snowstorms are occasionally striking areas that normally do not get much snow. Both the public and private sectors, even in relatively warm areas, need to take precautions against heavy snow.
I hate to say it, but..."Duh!"

The experience of this month should tell the "powers that be" in Tokyo that while snowfall has been on the decline, a couple of storms did strike the country and caused major problems. Maybe the experience of this month's storms will wake them up. They need to prepare for what can come, not to bet that it won't.

To read the full editorial, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog