"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, October 16, 2014

John Forte & George Klein On Jimmy Olsen



Above, is the cover of Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (number 80) from 1964. This issue is in my collection of Silver Age comic books.

Recently, some members of the Facebook group, The Silver Age Mythology of Superman, were aghast when I mentioned that Curt Swan's then-regular inker George Klein also inked artist John Forte's work. Generally, Forte did ink his own work, but on occasion, Klein was called in to do the honors. I noticed the difference in Forte's artwork immediately when I saw Klein's inks over them. I thought then (and now) that they improved Forte's artwork. That gave me an idea for this blog topic.

The above cover was penciled by Curt Swan and inked by his back-up inker, Sheldon Moldoff. The interior story of Jimmy Olsen's encounter with the Bizarros (imperfect duplicates of Superman and members of the Superman Family) was penciled by Forte and inked by Klein.

Here's are two examples of Forte/Klein art from the issue:



Now do you believe me, guys?

No comments:

Search This Blog