"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, October 31, 2014

Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo 2014

Above, the gang's all here for the Godzilla/Gamera panel.

Another successful Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo is in the record books. The convention runs through Sunday, but this was it for me this year. It was a good way to celebrate Halloween.

Our panel on the 60th anniversary of Godzilla, the 50th anniversary of Gamera and other assorted topics (such as Godzilla 2014) were discussed by the panel as well as the audience members.

The number of audience members were down from last year. We were in a much bigger room and, which is the unfortunate part, further away from the stairs, elevators and escalators. The problem was probably caused by the scheduling error in which the Comikaze organizers had to reschedule us an hour earlier as they had our moderator, Jessica Tseang scheduled on two panels at the same time. I am guessing that this was the only meeting room available.

Still, we had an enthusiastic audience and a good discussion. All agreed that the Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros. Godzilla was much better than the abomination of 1998.

Following the panel, I managed to sell many copies of The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan, so the trek more than paid for itself.

After this, I wandered around in the exhibit hall and there were plenty of things to see. I did a double-take when I spotted Christine Nguyen on a banner at the New York Times booth (yes, they were there selling subscriptions). I'll have to send a photo to Christine.

I did pick up a 1970s Mechagodzilla coin bank for myself.

I ran into a comic book dealer I knew in Woodland Hills (before he closed his shop in 2004), Mike Frank. We caught up on things and I gave him a copy of The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan.

As usual, Comikaze Expo was an enjoyable event and I am looking forward to next year's.

Here's some photos:

Above, there were plenty of comic books for sale. I almost bought
several Silver Age issues of World's Finest. Photo by Armand Vaquer

Above, Mile High Comics was represented by this booth. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, there were two kaiju dealers at Comikaze Expo this year that I found. This was one. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a vacationing Godzilla waited to make a purchase at the above kaiju toy booth. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, Comikaze Expo's main stage. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a cosplayer celebrates Halloween. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a display of Marvel characters. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, I couldn't resist getting this Mechagodzilla coin bank. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, Envy Model Management's Constance Nunes at the Muck booth. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a familiar face (Christine Nguyen) advertising the New York Times. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

No comments:

Search This Blog