"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, December 16, 2017

2017 In Review

Above, at the Little Tokyo New Year's Day Oshogatsu celebration.

Updated December 18, 2017.

2017 turned out to be a better year than 2016 overall. Yes, there were some bad things, but those were vastly outweighed by the good things.

The year started off with the resolution of my firearms that I had to surrender to the LAPD in 2016. I now have all my guns back and the case is now closed.

During that time, I spent many enjoyable hours with my cousin Ralph when we wandered around L.A. hitting used record stores, including Amoeba Music in Hollywood.

Above, enjoying the Friday night chili at the Platrix clampout. Photo by Glenn Thornhill.

Also during this time, as we headed into the spring months, I came down with bronchitis. It was a good thing that I had medical coverage, so I made good use of it and was put on medications that knocked the bronchitis off. I did attend two clampouts during this time: the Platrix Spring Doins in Tehachapi and the Billy Holcomb Spring Doins in Barstow.

In June, I served on jury duty at the Van Nuys courthouse. I didn't get on any jury panels, so I was dismissed.

In July, two family members passed away within days of each other. My cousin Lucia's husband Jeff died in July unexpectedly. And a few days later, my cousin Ralph was found deceased in his room in Bellflower. He apparently died of a heart attack in his sleep. Our last communications (via text) a day or two before concerned Jeff's funeral services. It was unbelievable.

Above, The Beast at the Lava Hot Springs/City Center KOA. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

August had me take a week-long trip to Idaho to view the total eclipse of the sun during the Great American Eclipse. I stayed in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho during the eclipse and while heading there, I stayed one night each in Las Vegas, Nevada and Brigham City, Utah. My cat Sierra kept me company during the trip.

Above, the total eclipse. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I joined a throng of people along Interstate 15 near Roberts, Idaho to view (or rather, experience) the eclipse. My photos of the eclipse came out better than I could ever hope for. After the eclipse, it was a four-hour drive in heavy traffic to get back to Lava Hot Springs.

Above, in the eclipse's shadow. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Still, despite the traffic, it was a worthwhile experience.

Above, the sign to the Bates Motel in Vale, Oregon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

On the day after the eclipse, I headed west to go into Oregon. I found a nice little campground in Juntura, Oregon and stayed there one night. While driving through Vale, Oregon, I saw a real Bates Motel! I had to take a picture of its sign. I then headed the next day to Diamond Lake, Oregon, which is five miles from Crater Lake National Park's entrance. It was very smoky in the area due to fires. It was the first time visiting Crater Lake since I was 17. Despite the smoke, it was an enjoyable visit.

Above, Crater Lake's Wizard Island. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Following Crater Lake National Park, I then headed down into Northern California to spend a couple of nights at the Manzanita Lake Campground in Lassen Volcanic National Park. I had not been to Lassen since I was 14. It was the first national park I ever visited at that time. The weather was great and the campground was as nice as I remembered it. Plus, there was no smoke.

Above, The Beast with Lassen Peak in the background. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After the trip, I helped my aunt Gloria celebrate her birthday with some Dodger goods. It was fun watching the 2017 World Series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros, even though the Dodgers lost the series in the seventh game.

Above, enjoying the World Series.

The August passing of the legendary (and I don't use that word lightly) Godzilla suit-actor Haruo Nakajima was one major blow to all of us in Godzilla fandom. I enjoyed my association with him and he is sorely missed.

Above, with Haruo Nakajima after our discussion program at the 2013 Mad Monster Party. Photo by Jeff Blanken.

I attended two Fall clampouts: Platrix at Tehachapi and Peter Lebeck at Camp Okihi. They were both enjoyable.

Above, at Camp Okihi for the Peter Lebeck Chapter's Clampout. Photo by Glenn Thornhill.

Last year, when I drove to Metropolis, Illinois along Interstate 40, I drove through Gallup, New Mexico and just fell for the area. In November, Jes (my roommate) and I went there to see some homes for sale. The third home was the clincher and I bought it! I will be moving there next year.

Above, the home I bought in New Mexico.

After Gallup, we went to Grand Canyon National Park for a few days on the way home. Jes had never been there before and she enjoyed it. We stayed at Trailer Village near Grand Canyon Village. I've always wanted to try it out. It was a nice campground with full hook-ups. The Grand Canyon Blue Line shuttle has a stop at Trailer Village and we explored the park by using the shuttle system.

Above, Jes and I at Hermit's Rest at Grand Canyon National Park.

After getting back, we spent Thanksgiving at my cousin's in Wildomar. A week later, I came down with a nasty cold. As I recovered from it, Jes came down with it. I ended up going to the doctor again to knock it off. I was prescribed the same medications as when I had bronchitis.

Now, I am just concentrating on the holidays and the upcoming move to New Mexico.

No comments:

Search This Blog