"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, October 27, 2024

Probably Done With Air Travel

For the past several years, whenever I have taken a trip by plane I can get to my destination from home without any problem. But getting back home has been a whole different story.

Flight delays and flight cancellations due to weather or other causes have been the norm. 

That was the case again last week when I was trying to get home from Des Moines, Iowa. I was set to fly home last Thursday evening via American Airlines with an arrival at the Albuquerque Sunport around 11:00 PM. But the flight got delayed due to mechanical issues in the plane's cockpit. 

Well, it is better to discover a problem on the ground than at 35,000 feet in the air.

Above, at the bar at Des Moines Airport waiting for my flight to be rescheduled. It was later canceled.

First, it was to be delayed and hour. Then, as time passed, departure time was updated several times to 5:00 am. Then, the delay time was reversed backwards. Finally, the flight was canceled. We were given vouchers for a hotel room (mine was for the Quality Inn near the airport) and a meal. 

I also had my flights rescheduled for the next day. That should have been the end of it, but it wasn't. 

My morning flight from Des Moines International Airport to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport was delayed an hour of some oil issue with the plane. This delay caused me to reach the airport just after boarding for my flight to Albuquerque ended.

Well, I went over to American Airlines' customer service desk and got flight to Albuquerque scheduled to depart hour and a half later. This was fine, except my luggage was aboard the flight that I missed. It was waiting for me at the baggage area at the Albuquerque Sunport. 

Above, waiting at the Des Moines Airport hotel shuttle area
for the shuttle to the Quality Inn. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Flying has become more of a nightmarish chore than a pleasure. The only flights in recent years that had no problems was my trip to and from Miami in August for the Bahamas cruise. We did get a half hour delay for our connector flight from Atlanta, but that actually worked out better as passengers from our Miami flight took their sweet time getting their overhead carry-on luggage and getting off the plane. I actually had to say something to spur them on. We made it to the gate before boarding started.

I am either never flying with American Airlines (they seem to be the worst) again or not flying altogether. I have had enough of this.

Airlines need to have passengers with connecting flights seated towards the front of the plane so they can get out faster. They also need to not have short layover times in case of delays. 

No comments:

Search This Blog