"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

AOL's "Rate Limits" Baloney

AOL started acting up yesterday.

I was going to send my insurance claims boss a set of photos and I received a message that I "violated" the terms of use and to check KW: Rate Limits ("KW" means keyword).

I have found that AOL "imposes a rate limit on an AOL member when a member exceeds the acceptable number of email messages sent in a given time period." They then stop allowing a member from sending emails anywhere from two to twenty-four hours.

I have been with AOL for ten years (from the time I bought my first computer), and never ran into this problem until now. AOL says they have installed new equipment and software to stop spam emails, but they have to iron out a few bugs.

I contacted customer service three times and each time they walked me through the process of clearing up any problem from my end. This included going into a website and entering a code and to rebuild my AOL adapter. In these instances, the problem would be solved, but only temporary.

This problem only seems to manifest itself when I use my laptop to email. It hasn't occurred when I use my desktop computer. Also, it doesn't happen when I use The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan email address.

In my last call to AOL, they tried different things to clear it up, but they were to no avail. So, they put me on a special list for their technicians to solve the issue in 24 hours.

If this doesn't work, I just may close out my AOL account and get another Internet service provider.

No comments:

Search This Blog