"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Yosemite: Day 3

Above, finally a clear view of Half Dome. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

My third day in Yosemite was a more leisurely day.

It began when I decided to do some laundry. The only available laundromat in Yosemite Valley is in the Housekeeping Camp. I presume this is where the summer workers stay. It is a stop (number 12) of the free Yosemite Shuttle.

Above, the laundromat at the Housekeeping Camp. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

First, I had to get laundry detergent and some quarters. Unfortunately, when using a debit or credit card, the Yosemite Store will not give anyone cash back. But, there are three ATM machines in and near the store.

Once I got that done, I took the shuttle over to the Housekeeping Camp and proceeded to launder my clothes. It costs $1.25 for washing and $.25 per ten minutes in the dryer. This was actually cheaper than the laundry room back home.

Above, a tent cabin at the Household Camp. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, inside a tent cabin. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While my clothes were in the dryer, I wandered around the camp to see what the tent cabins looked like. The Camp was deserted except for workers who were preparing the camp for the summer season.

When I looked at several of the tent cabins, I would not imagine anyone living in them, even for just a few months. The beds were stripped of their mattresses and the cabin floors were very dirty. They did not look inviting to me.

I guess once the workers move in and clean them up (and the mattresses are in place), they'll look much better. I'll stick to my RV, thank you!

After my laundry was done, I took the shuttle back to camp to put everything away. Once I completed that, I headed back out on the shuttle to wander around Yosemite Village and get a cheeseburger at the Grill.

Above, Upper Yosemite Fall from Yosemite Village. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After eating, I headed over to the Ahwahnee to catch up on messages. Once I had completed doing that, I decided to wander around the Village for some gift-buying.

While in the Village, and in front of the Village Store, three deer showed up and they walked past me to go under the bridge walkway to the store. They got as close as five feet from me.

Above, deer in front of the Yosemite Village Store. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This day was the clearest since I arrived and finally had some great views of Half Dome. The mountain was obscured by cloud cover during the previous two days. I took advantage of the conditions and took many photographs.

I was going to have dinner at the Ahwahnee, but I found their prices were a little steep and reservations are recommended. I had another cheeseburger (this time with fries) for dinner at the Grill.

After dinner, it was back to the Ahwahnee to use their Wi-Fi and to browse through their gift shop. I saw an Outback hat that I was thinking of getting. I had the clerk take a photo of me in it to send to Denise to get her opinion. If she liked it, I'd get it. Well, I didn't get an answer, so I didn't get it.

Above, yours truly in the Outback hat I didn't buy at the Ahwahnee gift shop..

Two days before, I spotted a nice pair of sweat pants for Denise. But the smallest size they had was medium. I sent Denise a text message asking if medium would work since she wears a small. As the store closes at 9:00, I asked her if she'd let me know. Well, I didn't hear back from her. (She told me later that she conked out from her crossfit. This was the same night as the hat text.) I was planning to go to the Village Store anyway to buy a can of coffee. So I went there and, as luck would have it, a shipment of sweatpants just arrived and they had smalls. So I got her one.

From there, I headed back to camp to prepare for my departure in the morning.

Next: Yosemite Day Four.

Yosemite: Day One

Yosemite: Day Two.

No comments:

Search This Blog