"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Getting Started

Above, Asya with one of her abstract paintings.

Last night, I met up with Asya, the artist who will be doing a portrait of yours truly and we came to an agreement on the work that I am commissioning, including size, medium (oil), price, etc.

I asked her which medium she feels most comfortable in doing a portrait and she chose oil. I was pleased by that. We are planning to do a traditional portrait, but with a Japanese-themed background. I have to send her some photos I took in Japan to give her some ideas.

She (kidding, of course) asked me if I wanted to be painted as Batman, after I showed her a sketch of Batman I did last weekend at my cousin's.

We are going to meet up again in the "Little Osaka" (or Sawtelle Japantown) tonight for a photo shoot, sketches and dinner to get the ball rolling. "Little Osaka" is a Japanese enclave in the West Los Angeles area bordered by Santa Monica Blvd. to the north, and Olympic Blvd. to the south. It is several blocks long along Sawtelle Blvd. I am very familiar with the area. My grandfather lived on Sawtelle Blvd. until his death in 1966 and I have frequented the Japantown area many times during the past several years. Asya lives in the Olympic/Robertson area.

The Los Angeles City Council designated the area as "Japantown" last year by a unanimous vote.

I am looking forward to this as I have been thinking about having a portrait painting done for quite a while. It's not an "ego thing", but a curiosity about seeing how an artist would see me in artwork. Asya estimates that the whole process will take about a week or so to complete. 

This is getting me "fired up" again to want to break out my art equipment and start drawing again.

No comments:

Search This Blog