"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, November 22, 2010

47 Years Later, Still A Vivid Memory


One can tell they're getting on in years when a historical anniversary comes around, especially when the number of years is mentioned.

47 years ago, shocking news came from Dallas, Texas when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade to a luncheon speaking engagement at the Dallas Trade Mart. The date was November 22, 1963.

I was three months shy of turning ten years old, but I remember that day like it was yesterday. I had just finished lunch in the Woodcrest Elementary School cafeteria in Los Angeles and took my dishes to the dishwasher's window when the kid working it said Kennedy was shot and killed in Texas and the school flag was at half-staff.

I immediately went outside and took a look. Sure enough, the flag was at half-staff. We went back to our classrooms following lunch recess and our teacher, Mrs. Ostrom, tearfully told the class what happened.

Within minutes, the fire bell began ringing and everyone vacated the room to go out to the playground. Only this time, it wasn't a fire or a drill. The principal used it to get the school gathered in one place. There, he announced the assassination and led the school in patriotic songs.

Following this, school was dismissed and everyone sent home. I lived across the street from school and my mom had the television set on for coverage on the assassination. For the next four days, regular programming of all stations were jettisoned for continuous assassination and funeral coverage.

I also remember the moment that accused assassin Lee Harvey Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby on Sunday, November 23. We had the television set on NBC and we saw Ruby shoot Oswald as it happened. My dad just about flew off the couch when that occurred.

Above, aerial view of Dealey Plaza.

Back in 1984, I was in Dallas for the Republican National Convention. I was a California alternate delegate for President Ronald Reagan. While there, I paid a visit to Dealey Plaza, the site of the JFK assassination. I spent an hour or so taking pictures of the site from all angles. I even stood on the pedestal where Abraham Zapruder shot his famous and historic 8mm film of the assassination. As I stood on that pedestal, my mind wandered back 21 years to when I first heard the news of the assassination.

In looking at the former Texas School Book Depository Building (where Oswald had his sniper's perch) from the point on Elm Street where the fatal bullet stuck the president, all doubts were cast aside in my mind that Oswald was the killer and that he did it alone. To me, that was an easy shot, especially since the rifle had a scope. The distance from the street to the 6th floor window wasn't all that far. One of these anniversaries, I'll post my photos on this blog.

In many respects, it is hard to believe that 47 years has passed as everything is still a vivid memory. This generation will have the same feeling when 47 years pass since September 11, 2001.

Time marches on, whether one likes it or not.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Interesting you should mention how
vivid memories can be in regard to
an "event". I'll remember the Kennedy & 911 events always.

Amazing how conspiracy theories can
be shot down if one just cares to
take a look (as you did).

I myself laugh at those who say LHO couldn't have done it with such a "cheap rifle". I've owned a couple of Carcanos in the past & have found them to be solid weapons. The model 38s was more than adequate for such a heinous job.

My take on the event Here:
http://jaysteevee.blogspot.com/2010/11/kennedy-kurses.html

No disrespect for Mr. Kennedy is
intended. That's the way I saw it as a kid.

Armand Vaquer said...

Jay, thanks for the comments.

Obviously, the Carcano was up to the task, otherwise, we wouldn'tbe discussing this event. A friend owns the same model as Oswald's.

Besides that, Oswald did have Marine firearms training. - A.

Search This Blog