"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, December 2, 2012

"Godzilla vs. Biollante" Is Days Away



Godzilla vs. Biollante is slated to be available on DVD and Blu-ray at Amazon.com this coming Tuesday (December 4).  Some people have already found it in different stores.

I have my copy of the Blu-ray edition on pre-order at Amazon.  I am in no rush (if there are delays) as I have the old HBO VHS in my library.  So it's not as if I've never seen the movie before.

The movie is the direct sequel to 1984's Return of Godzilla (released in the U.S. as Godzilla 1985 with Raymond Burr added in).  Biollante contains some of the best special effects work by Koichi Kawakita (photo, left with yours truly in 2000).  There is a good reason for this, Godzilla was around 80 meters tall in this movie, so the miniatures were scaled accordingly and are more detailed.  Godzilla's size was bumped up to 100 meters in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) and this required the change in the scale of the miniatures that did not allow for as much detailing.

Godzilla vs. Biollante is a little plodding in its pacing, but once the monster action starts, it is a very enjoyable movie.  It also introduces the psychic character Miki Saegusa (Megumi Odaka) to the series.

A snippet of the movie was used in the Tim Burton movie, Mars Attacks.


2 comments:

mathetes1963 said...

I pre-ordered my Blu-ray of GvB from Amazon nearly a month before the release date; they say temporarily out of stock now. Correspondence I've gotten thus far from Amazon seems contradictory. And now I hear of retail outlets selling it?! Seems Amazon's left hand doesn't know what it's right is doing.

Armand Vaquer said...

So it seems. I mentioned that people are finding it at different retailers. I'm in no hurry, otherwise I'd be annoyed.

Search This Blog