"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Joan Rivers


It was sad to hear of the passing of comedienne Joan Rivers at age 81. It was somewhat expected, especially after reports of Rivers being put on life support. But when I heard she was taken out of ICU, I had hoped it meant she was improving.

Rivers was one of the few comediennes who made me laugh. She made me laugh like Rodney Dangerfield and George Carlin made me laugh.

She was a favorite of my late mother's. Rivers was at her funniest before her husband Edgar took his life. His suicide took the wind out of her sails big-time. But, she persevered and bounced back. But, to me, her humor was never the same.

Rivers was Johnny Carson's regular guest host on The Tonight Show before their rift after she accepted an offer for her own show.

Above, Nancy Reagan welcomed by Joan Rivers and others at the National Federation of Republican
 Women luncheon at the 1984 GOP National Convention in Dallas, Texas. Photo: Dallas News.

Rivers appeared at a women's luncheon at the 1984 Republican National Convention in Dallas, Texas. She was hilarious! I recorded her routine from C-SPAN (I still have it). She had the audience in stitches. (One line, “My idea of foreign affairs is a Motel 6 with Julio Iglesias!”) My mom was able to detect First Lady Nancy Reagan's laughs. It was reported by a few in the media that some in the audience were "taken aback." Not from what I heard.

While it is sad that Rivers died the way she did, but at least she was still on top at the end.


No comments:

Search This Blog