"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Boy Scouts of America Come To The Rescue

Last evening, I was loading the new motorhome with equipment that has been stored for about 20 years since I last had a motorhome.

One of the items I put into the storage bay of the motorhome was my Dutch oven. I last used it about 8 years ago at a Clampout to make a peach cobbler. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate the pair of pliers (with a hook on the end) that's made especially for use with Dutch ovens.

So, I began to Google around for a replacement. All of the Dutch oven lid lifters that popped up looked nothing like what I had before. To me, they all looked like branding irons used by cattle ranchers. Prices were $12.00 and up.

Here's an example:


Then, I came upon an idea: check with the Boy Scouts of America's online store!

Once I got into the BSA online store, it wasn't long when I found what I was after. It's now on order.

Here it is:


In the BSA online catalog, they are listed as Hot Pot Tongs. They are no bigger than a pair of pliers (which is important as space is at a premium in motorhomes) and they only cost $4.98.  I think I bought the previous one through the BSA when I was a Cubmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster.

The Boy Scouts are a great source for buying camping equipment. And, their prices are reasonable.

To check out the BSA online store, go to http://www.scoutstuff.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a BSA pair hot pot tongs in the mid 1960's, where the hook was on the curved jaw of the pliers. Being made of aluminum instead of steel, they were light enough to carry for back pack camping. Very handy for handling all the cooking pots on wood campfires, not just the dutch oven. Dan

Search This Blog