"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, March 28, 2015

How To Do The Tsukiji Fish Market Right

Above, lots of seafood for sale at the Tsukiji Fish Market. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

In December 2010, I got up early (a little earlier than planned due to an earthquake) to go to the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo.

I had always wanted to visit the fish market, but somehow never got around to do so until that trip. I entered the fish market through a side or back entrance and wandered around without any difficulty. But I don't recommend this as I was told by the main gate guard that the market was closed to tourists during that period (supposedly it was their busiest part of the year) when I reached the main gate. By then, I saw all that I came to see (lucky me).

Inside Japan blog has a helpful article on "how to do it right."

They begin with:
Tsukiji Fish Market is one of my tip-top favourite Tokyo experiences, but what with increasingly unstable relations between the vendors (for whom this is their livelihood) and tourists (for whom it is a fascinating attraction), it is important to know how to “do” Tsukiji properly. 
Located right in the middle of Tokyo, next-door to Hamarikyu Gardens and near the upmarket Ginza district of town, Tsukiji is the largest seafood market in the world, and makes a fantastic (and free) addition to any Tokyo itinerary. 
And since it was announced that Tsukiji will soon be moving from its current location to a site in Toyosu (a 20-minute bus or train ride from its current spot), you really will have to get in there quick – before it changes for good!
To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog