"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, November 11, 2016

An Inconvenience

Above, The Beast at Deer Creek Valley RV Park in Topeka, Kansas. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

A little mishap occurred yesterday in St. Louis.

After I had gotten off the freeway downtown, I had to swerve a to the left. In my way was a traffic island. Normally, curbs are rounded, but this one had a sharp corner.

Well, that sharp corner sliced my driver's side front tire and rear driver's side outside tire. Both were torn up beyond repair. I had to get new tires.

I contacted Auto Club for a tow, but my premium RV coverage covers tows on a reimbursement basis. Plus, I would have had to pay an additional $130/hour (for 3 hours they said) for a shop-to-shop tow.

Luckily, I found a local tire dealer who does remote tire repair/replacement for RVs. The tires and all cost me almost $500. That put a major crimp in my pocket money and checking account. That left me with a bit over $350. Well, it could have been worse. As it was, it was just tires.

So, I contacted my bank and asked for an emergency money transfer from my investment account to my checking account. At first, they said the earliest I would have the money is Tuesday. Then "maybe" Monday. Then, I was contacted by the main customer service department and arrangments are being made for a transfer to be completed, hopefully, today. Until it does, I don't have enough money on hand for fuel to get home. So, I am sitting tight in Kansas.

Luckily, I have enough food provisions to last me a week. I went shopping in Springfield, Illinois and stocked up on food. I spent last night in a rest area to save some cash. But, I still need to be able to fill up my water tank other things. I found a nice RV park in Topeka, Kansas, the Deer Creek Valley RV Park. With my AAA or Good Sam discount, the night's stay is only $39.60. If necessary, I can stay here to Monday.

Soon after I registered, I made use of their hot showers.

This is just an inconvenience and the net effect is that my vacation will just be extended a few more days before I can begin heading into Colorado and, later, Arizona and have fun again.

Above, Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Missiouri. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Before heading to Topeka, I took a drive to Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Missouri, the site of the 1976 Republican National Convention, the first convention I attended. That was the contest between President Gerald Ford and Gov. Ronald Reagan. I was a California Reagan Delegate. The place looked pretty much the same.


UPDATE: I heard from the bank and the earliest I can get the transfer completed is on Monday. It is because today is the Veteran's Day holiday. That's okay, I am comfortable where I'm at.

No comments:

Search This Blog