"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, August 30, 2021

DIY RV Carport

Above, the GOCO Beast Barn under construction. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Three years ago, I bought a home on two acres in New Mexico and after a few months, I had an RV garage (called the GOCO Beast Barn) built for my motorhome. I had plenty of land for it and it cost $6,000. A little over a year later, I added a 30 amp electrical outlet to it. I deemed it a necessary expense as I am at 7,000 feet elevation and I wanted my RV protected from the elements (heat, cold, snow, wind, etc.).

Above, the finished GOCO Beast Barn. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Not everyone can afford a full RV garage and settle instead for a carport. It is basically the same thing as what I have except it doesn't have side walls. One of my friends in New Mexico has a carport for his fifth wheel trailer.

Do It Yourself RV has an article on how to build your own RV carport.

They begin with:

As much as we would all love to use our RVs all of the time, the reality is most RVs spend as much and often more time stored than they do being used.

Paying for RV storage can be a big expense, especially if you have the option of covered storage.

RVs are often too large for garages and building a complete building for storage would be expensive and beyond the skill set for most RVers. 

What is a carport?

Unlike a garage, a carport is generally a roof supported by posts with open sides. Oftentimes, they are built onto the side of an existing structure such as a house, garage, or barn. This gives you one closed-in wall and a roof for protection from the elements.

Carports can be constructed from a variety of materials. Commonly used materials are wooden or metal posts and support beams with metal, wood, or UV-resistant fabrics used for the roof.

To read the full article, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog