"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, March 26, 2023

RV Travel: Barbed Wire Tamed The Wild West

Above, barbed wire fencing along Six Mile Canyon Road. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Since I moved to New Mexico five years ago, when driving around in and near the Six Mile Canyon area of the Cibola National Forest, I've noticed barbed wire fencing of different types. I have been to museums where many kinds of it are on display.

Chuck Woodbury at RV Travel has an article on "The Fencing That Tamed The Wild West".

It begins with:

 One of my favorite things to do when traveling with my RV is to visit rural pioneer museums.

Most are not very exciting—old photos, antique plows, a replica of a kitchen from 100 years ago, maybe an old dentist chair complete with barbaric-looking tools that always scare the pee out of me just looking at them.

But at many museums, you can learn a lot about things you might never think much about otherwise. For example, I once visited the Barbed Wire Museum in La Crosse, Kansas. Now, maybe you think that barbed wire is a boring subject. Well, I beg to differ with you! When you drive around the rural American West, you see it everywhere. But what you may not know is how important barbed wire was to the development of the modern West and the end of the cowboy era.

To read more, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog