"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, March 30, 2023

Reagan Assassination Attempt 42 Years Ago

Above, the site of the Reagan assassination attempt in June 1981. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Today marks 42 years since the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan took place at the Washington Hilton.

From Firstpost:

1981 – Failed attempt of assassination against US President Ronald Reagan

US President Ronald Reagan was shot and severely injured by John W. Hinckley Jr. on this day in 1981. Hinckley Jr. was trying to assassinate Reagan, just two months following his inauguration as the 40th President.

I remember that day quite well. I was at my desk at United Pacific/Reliance Insurance Cos. offices in Los Angeles when one of our underwriters came over to me and told me that Reagan had just been shot. He knew that I was a California Reagan delegate at the 1980 GOP National Convention in Detroit.

People reacted at first much like they did when President Kennedy was assassinated and, realizing not much work would be taking place, we were released. Fortunately, the outcome was much better and Reagan fully recovered.  

The following year (June 1982), I was invited to the White House for a reception for the California Delegation to the 1980 Republican National Convention. 

Since my hotel was within blocks of the Washington Hilton, I took one of their shuttles into Washington, D.C. from Dulles International Airport to the Washington Hilton. Before walking to my hotel, I took some photos of the assassination attempt scene. At that time, it was unchanged from the previous year,

No comments:

Search This Blog