"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Japanese New Year Celebration 2011

Text and photos by Armand Vaquer

Above, the crowd at Little Tokyo's Weller Court within view of The Daily Planet Building (a.k.a. Los Angeles City Hall).

Three years ago, my mom, daughter and I went to Los Angeles' Little Tokyo for their New Years Day celebration. 2008 turned out to be the last really good year for me.

So, I decided that maybe attending the Japanese New Year Celebration (Oshogatsu) this year would bring better fortune for 2011. Well, I went and had a great time.

While there, I saw food booths, entertainers, beautiful Japanese girls in kimonos and I picked up a 2011 calendar (I prefer Japanese calendars as they are beautiful graphically and they have two months per page instead of one, which makes planning easier). I also picked up a nice sake set while in Little Tokyo's Japanese Village Plaza.

Also, I spoke with Saki Miata of JATV News, about The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. Maybe that will lead to a feature story on the station. JATV is a Japanese television station in Los Angeles with programming and news feeds from Japan.

Most of the performances I watched were in Weller Court.

As I did in 2008, I brought along my camera and took some photos of the festivities (click on image to see larger):

Above, pretty girls in colorful kimonos.

Above, the taiko drum performance.

Above, a large audience watching the fan dance performance.

Above, the fan dance performance.

Above, more girls in kimonos.

Above, the line to get into Little Tokyo's Koyasan Buddhist Temple.

If you can't make it to Tokyo, Japan for New Years Day, going to Little Tokyo in Los Angeles is the next best thing!

No comments:

Search This Blog