"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Women and The Rondo Awards



An interesting post had been posted over at the Classic Horror Film Board by its moderator and head honcho of the Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards, David Colton:

It's always struck me how far and wide the Rondo 'electorate' is, and one thing that is consistent from year to year is the amazing number of women who vote.

I just did a rough estimate of the first week's votes, and a good 20% -- and it seems to build as the voting goes on -- are women, and they are knowledgeable and full of genre energy. (And no, despite that, TWILIGHT: ECLIPSE still only has a handful of votes. Another myth busted.)

I find it fascinating, and heartening, and it does seem to impact the results in interesting ways. But anyone who thinks the horror world is fanboys only need simply count up Rondo ballots -- or attend any convention!


That is interesting! Some people consider it a "given" that women, in general, aren't interested in horror or, especially, science-fiction. I know quite a few women who love horror and science-fiction. My mom was the one who got me interested in both genres. The last movie my mom and I went to together was Cloverfield. She enjoyed it as much as I did.

I agree with David, it is heartening!

No comments:

Search This Blog