"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Favorite Tokyo Hangouts

Above, a view of Tokyo from Tokyo Tower.

Since 2001, I've made six trips to Japan, mainly for pleasure and some for business.

My most recent trip was in December 2010 where my activities in Tokyo were primarily for promoting The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. After a while, one gets accustomed to being in a given town or city. Such is the case for me with Tokyo. Also, one finds favorite places to just "hang out" and savor the surroundings.

Here's a few of the places I enjoy kicking back in Tokyo:

Hotel Asia Center of Japan


As a rule, I don't just go someplace and just sit in a hotel room. But, when I've finished my day of wandering around Tokyo, I enjoy the facilities that the Hotel Asia Center of Japan has available. This is my hotel of choice when staying in Tokyo. They've a good restaurant. Internet access. Laundry facilities. It is also within easy walking distance to eateries that are easy on the budget. There's also convenience stores within easy walking distance as is the Aoyama-Itchome subway station.


Tully's Coffee
Tully's Coffee is within easy walking distance from the Hotel Asia Center of Japan. Generally, I stop in before I take off on the subway to other points in Tokyo and I stop in when I return from somewhere before heading back to my hotel. They've a separate smoking room and a relaxed atmosphere. They also have good pastries to munch on!


Shibuya Crossing's Starbucks


A favorite place in Shibuya is Starbucks Coffee located in the building in the center of the above photo. I try to get a window seat in their upstairs dining room so I can relax and just watch people in Shibuya Crossing cross the street (below). One thing I found out, Starbucks cards issued in the U.S. aren't usable in Japan.





Asakusa


Asakusa is a great place to just hang out and do a little window shopping (without the windows) on Nakamise Street, the shopping street that leads up to the Sensoji Temple. On a side street from Nakamise Street, there's a McDonalds restaurant next door to a toy shop (it carries kaiju toys, by the way) should one get hungry. Also, another Asakusa hangout is at the Azumabashi Bridge which crosses over the Sumida River to Sumida City. At the bridge, great views of the Asahi Beer Hall and the Sky Tree (currently under construction) can be had (below).



Ginza-Hibiya


During my December 2010 trip to Japan, I was saddened to discover that one of my favorite eating and coffee spots in Tokyo, Becker's, was gone. However, Becker's was replaced by The Beat Diner, which offers food and drinks along with classic rock music. The Beat Diner is located under the shinkansen (bullet train) tracks that separates Ginza and Hibiya. I am glad that I tried them out before going to see Space Battleship Yamato. It is a great place with pretty J-girl waitresses and bartenders. Also, The Beat Diner is an easy walk from the Godzilla statue in Hibiya.

As the years go on, I will probably find more places to add to my list of favorite hangouts in Tokyo.

Do you have any favorite hangout places in Tokyo?

Feel free to post them in the comments for this blog.

No comments:

Search This Blog