"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Submarines: USS Nautilus Anniversary and Lunch Pail

Above, my first lunch pail was one of these. This one is now being offered on eBay.

This morning, I was reading the BBC's website and they noted that 60 years ago today, the USS Nautilus, the first nuclear-powered submarine, was launched.

They wrote:
It's 60 years since the world's first nuclear-powered submarine was launched. The USS Nautilus was the first "true" submarine as it did not need to be refuelled and could remain submerged for months. So what was it like living on it?
When I was a kid, I was a big submarine fanatic. I had books on them and some of my favorite television shows included Silent Service and Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea. Both featuring submarines. The BBC article on the USS Nautilus reminded me of my first lunch pail (they are called lunch boxes now, but back then they were made of metal, so pail was appropriate) which was of, naturally, submarines. According to current offerings on eBay, the lunch pail depicted the USS Seawolf and the USS George Washington.

I remember using that lunch pail for years. It also included a Thermos bottle (those things didn't last very long since they had glass inner linings that broke when they were dropped).  According to the eBay offerings, the lunch pail was vintage 1960, which is the period I got mine.

To read the BBC article on the USS Nautilus, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog