"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, October 10, 2009

G-FEST Photo Changes By The Multi-Talented J. D. Lees

When I was working on the Mangled Skyscraper Award Quiz (go to the link on this page on the right) the other day, I noticed that a couple of my photos in the "G-FEST XVI Report" in G-FAN #89 seemed different.

So I compared them with the original photos and, lo and behold, they were changed.

I've always known that the editor-in-chief, J. D. Lees was talented, but it never occurred to me that he was also talented enough to improve photographs the way that he has.

Here is the original photo that I took of Kenji Sahara at G-FEST holding up his Mangled Skyscraper Award:



Here's the photo as it appeared in G-FAN #89:



The other photo that caught my attention was one that's a close-up of Sahara. But note that the hand on his shoulder is gone and Stan Hyde on the left of him is also gone.

Here's the original:



Here's the photo as it appeared in G-FAN #89:



The first changed photo looks good, but it was printed on regular paper. Had it been printed on glossy paper as is the second one was, it would have looked even better.

I was impressed with the changes. They were an improvement over the originals (it could not be avoided as several people were up at the dais with Kenji Sahara). With the changes, there are no distractions and the focus is more on Sahara.

I was impressed with J. D.'s improvements. (I don't have photoshop, so I have to rely upon the basic Windows Paint program to fix photos.) Damn, the man is good!

7 comments:

crazygoji said...

Yes, JD is a master at his craft. Don't use Paint, use Paint.Net or GIMP. They're both free, unless you'd like to donate, and are much better than Paint.

http://www.getpaint.net/

http://www.gimp.org/

Armand Vaquer said...

Hmmm! I'll keep those in mind. Thanks for the tip, Jeff! - A.

Dutch said...

I'd say the second pic is the most improved of all if you know what I mean.

Otito Gojito said...

"Falsification of history
The Soviet Union

The most common examples of photograph alteration and falsification come from communist Russia. Unwanted persons, so-called "enemies of the people" were not only killed, but also removed from photographs where their presence was unwanted. Photographs were altered with the intent of changing the past."

That was after Stalin had the NKVD erase the people.

Armand Vaquer said...

True. And your point is...? - A.

Otius Gojius said...

Oh, I don't know, the point on my head, I guess.
I just am interested in things that remind me of Stalin-era mind-tricks, like replacing people with potted plants or hat racks in photos of party functions... say, isn't there any other post here to ask for clarification, if you know what I mean?


"Furthermore, it should be noted that none of the characters portrayed in this post are meant to represent any real persons living or dead." -- apologies to Dr. Strangelove

Armand Vaquer said...

Otius, actually someone did express concerns about "photo manipulation" in magazines, but in a private email. While I agree with you in principle when it concerns news, I have no problems with modifications of photos of a convention or something related to entertainment. If the changes improve the shot, I've no problem with it. Some people need to chill out. JD didn't add missiles (like Iran) or tanks to the photos. - A.

Search This Blog