"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, October 2, 2009

Going To Work On L.A.'s Metro

Well, the 1989 Mustang is in the body shop (H & R Paint and Body), after which, I had to try out Los Angeles's transit system to get to work.

A few years ago, a new busway was built in the San Fernando Valley on what used to be a Santa Fe Railroad right-of-way. The tracks were taken out, and a new roadway with nice landscaping was built exclusively for special buses. This busway is called the Orange Line.

I figured, if I can easily navigate my way around Tokyo, Japan on that city's transit system (trains and subways), I should be able to handle this.

So, about an hour and a half before my work start time, I got to the Orange line station at Reseda Blvd. at Oxnard St. Within 10 minutes, the bus was due to arrive. I purchased my day pass at the station's vending machine ($5.00) and waited for the bus. The bus arrived right on schedule!

I got on and it took me to the North Hollywood Red Line subway station. I've used the Red Line subway before, so I am familiar with its workings.

It was a short walk from the bus station to the subway station. After a 10 minute wait, the subway was there to take me to the mid-Wilshire District of L.A. for the Vermont Ave.-Wilshire Blvd. subway station, which is three short blocks from work.

As it turned out, I got to work with fifteen minutes to spare. I am elated that the transit system worked out just fine. I am at work now on break, so it will be interesting to see how the return trip to Tarzana works out.

So far, so good!

UPDATE (10/3/09): The ride home went smoothly. The only problem was when I got back into Tarzana, I was unsure if the bus lines on Reseda Blvd. were still running at 11:00 PM. I decided to walk home from the busway station (I'd guess it was a half mile walk). As I got about a block away from the station, I noticed a bus had stopped at the Reseda Blvd. bus stop near the station. I guess that answered my question. I was too far away to hurry back to catch the bus and I was loaded down with my work gear. At least I know I can catch a bus next week (just have to be a little patient).

No comments:

Search This Blog