"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, July 12, 2010

A Day In The Life of An Adjuster

Above, photographing accident damage is just part of the job.

Having two jobs doesn't really allow for one with "days off" in the traditional sense. Sometimes I have to do both jobs the same day, and sometimes I have to work weekends.

Today and tomorrow are my days off from the Malibu patrol job, but that doesn't mean that I just sat around home today.

A couple of claim assignments came in and I worked those today. I don't consider myself finished with insurance claim assignments until all reports and my billing documents are submitted to the boss. Fortunately, those assignments were fully completed and my reports and billing submitted. This is an incentive in getting the work done so that the paycheck comes in the mail at the earliest possible date.

The goal for diligent adjusters, whether they are independent field adjusters or insurer staff adjusters, is contact with all parties involved within 24 hours of receiving the assignment. Fast contact helps to get people in a better mood and it cuts down on complaints.

Having a scanner capable of creating .pdf files comes in handy, as does a digital camera and cell phone. Distractions are a minor problem while working from home. But once I jump into the car to take someone's statement, get a police or fire report, or do accident scene investigations, there's no distractions to be concerned about. If an assignment comes in that requires only a recorded telephone statement, I have the capability to record statements from my house phone. All statements have to be summarized on a form and submitted with the tape.

My time is completely covered as is mileage and expenses. It is kind of like being Jim Rockford from The Rockford Files.

Additionally, having two computers and printers are a necessity for today's claims handling. Both have all the templates (for letters and forms) that are needed. If one should go down, the other is available to use as a back-up. I may get another computer to replace the one I bought ten years ago with Windows 98 later this year.

Beside the patrol and claim work, in a way I've a third "job" with The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. Orders have to be filled and promoting is a continuous task to do. But it all pays off in the end.

My workday today ended at 5:33 PM when I sent my reports and billing documents. Tomorrow will be a free day with paying bills the only item of my agenda.

So far.

No comments:

Search This Blog