"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Japan: Day 3


The third day in Japan was very productive as I started an interview with Japan Today (we will finish up with some emailed questions this coming weekend).

I also had an enjoyable lunch with Masaharu Ina, former general manager of Toho's Los Angeles office and currently a director at Toho Cinemas. He tells me that Shogo Tomiyama, former president of Toho Pictures is no longer with Toho, and is now president of an academy.

Mr. Ina says that the contract arrangement between Toho and Legendary Pictures is similar to the contract with Sony/Tri-Star. Legendary has an option of at least one sequel. Toho is hoping that Legendary does for Godzilla what they did for Batman. While the contract with Legendary is in force, and they make a sequel (or two) to their Godzilla, Toho will not be producing any Godzilla movies.

In the Christmas spirit, I gave Mr. Ina a copy of The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. He was very impressed!

Mr. Ina is a proud owner of a Harley-Davidson.

Following lunch, I was interviewed by the Daily Yomiuri. The interview is slated to be in their December 24 edition. We wrapped up the interview with some picture-taking at the Hibiya Godzilla statue.

I saw Space Battleship Yamato. It was a very spectacular movie visually with superb sound (albeit loud). I couldn't judge the acting as I don't understand Japanese, but there was a lot of emotional stuff going on. A lot of J-girl hotties populated the movie. Would American audiences like it? I think so, provided it's handled right. It would be more appropriate to release it subtitled, rather than dubbed. I saw it at the Toho Cinemas in the Yurakucho Mullion Building.

Ginza was very beautiful tonight with Christmas lighting. The big clock at the Yurakucho Mullion Building chimes out Christmas music every hour and the clock opens up to allow some elves to come out. The music sounded a lot like Mannheim Steamroller. I took some video of it.

Speaking of big clocks, the Wako Dept. Store's clock tower is adorned in Christmas lights. As soon as I can, I'll post photos of it.

I'm headed off to Niigata tomorrow. Hope I have better access to the Internet there.

UPDATE (7/10/11): I received this note from Shogo Tomiyama:

Hi! Armand. I am still in TOHO, but now I work on Japan Academy Prize.

No comments:

Search This Blog