"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Try Out A Ryokan In Japan

Above, Bansuitei Ikoiso Ryokan in Sendai. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Previously, I blogged about budget hotels. Now we shift to another form of accommodation that is unique to Japan: ryokans (Japanese inn).

One of the things I would recommend to visitors to Japan is to stay at a Japanese ryokan instead of a hotel for a truly "Japanese experience."

Wikipedia describes ryokans this way:
A ryokan (旅館?) is a type of traditional Japanese inn that originated in the Edo period (1603–1868), when such inns served travelers along Japan's highways. They typically feature tatami-matted rooms, communal baths, and other public areas where visitors may wear yukata and talk with the owner.
During my first trip to Japan in 2001, I stayed at a ryokan (Hotel Fukudaya) in the Shibuya district. It was roomy and the owners were very hospitable. In fact, all of the ryokan rooms I've stayed in had more room space than a business hotel.

Above, Hotel Fukydaya ryokan in Shibuya, Tokyo. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I have stayed at three ryokans over the years. The second one was in Sendai (Bansuitei Ikoiso Ryokan) and the third was in Kumamoto (Kumamoto Kajita Ryokan). All three were enjoyable. The daughter of the owner of the Sendai ryokan attended L.A. Harbor College in Southern California and she spoke pretty good English.

The owner of the Kumamoto ryokan insisted on driving me to the Kumamoto train station instead of me taking a taxi.

Above, Kumamoto Kajita Ryokan in Kumamoto, Kyushu. Photo: Google +.

Each ryokan that I stayed at served excellent meals. The room rates were comparable, and some were actually cheaper, to hotel room rates. All were family-owned and operated. They were also all friendly and helpful whenever I had any questions.

Above, my room at Bansuitei Ikoiso Ryokan in Sendai. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I have found that in longer stays in Japan where I would venture out of Tokyo for several days, ryokans were more economical than hotels. This website has information on different ryokan styles.

If you are the more adventuresome type, I recommend a stay in a ryokan.

Here are some sources for booking a stay at a ryokan:

JapaniCan

Yado Nihon

Japanese Guest Houses

Japanese Inn Group



No comments:

Search This Blog