"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, August 20, 2016

32 Years Ago: A Visit To Dealey Plaza

Above, yours truly standing at Elm Street in Dealey Plaza.

Thanks to a reminder from Facebook (and getting the date right from my photo album), I visited Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Texas 32 years ago today.

I was in Dallas for the 1984 Republican National Convention as a member of the California Reagan Delegation.

Above, the open window marks where Oswald fired the shots. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While in Dallas, I took a cab from my hotel to Dealey Plaza to see for myself the site of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

During my visit, I took photographs from many angles of the site with my Olympus OM-1 35mm camera.

Above, this photo was taken while atop the pedestal where Abraham
 Zapruder filmed the assassination. In the background, the former Texas
 School Book Depository and Dal-Tex Buildings. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The site looked pretty much the same in 1984 as it did during the assassination 21 years earlier. The most noticeable difference was that the street lamps were moved from the sidewalks and re-positioned in grassy areas. Also, newer, modern skyscrapers surrounded (from a distance) the area.

Two months ago, I attended a presentation by former Secret Service Agent Clint Hill on the Kennedy assassination. I shot this video during his presentation:



Still, it was an eerie place to visit.

No comments:

Search This Blog