"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Photographing The Eclipse: How I "Dood" It

Above, the total eclipse in "Automatic" setting. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I have been asked by several people how I managed to take the photographs of the Great American Eclipse on August 21.

It was actually easier that I would have imagined.

I used my Canon Rebel EOS T5i camera. I decided to use the most powerful zoom lens I have: the Tamron 18mm-270mm f/3.5-6.3 lens. I had the stabilizer setting switched to on. I also used my lens hood.

Prior to heading to Idaho to experience the eclipse, I did see some websites on how to photograph the eclipse. One of the things suggested was to always wear eye protective glasses, especially while looking through the camera's viewfinder. This I did. 

Above, the total eclipse in "P" setting. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

That was a little bit difficult. Without the glasses, it is easy to aim the lens at the sun, but with the glasses on, finding the sun was a little difficult as it made everything all black and the sun a smaller object to train the viewfinder on as part (or most) of it was covered by the moon.

Above, as the sun emerged from totality, we got the "diamond ring" effect. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I had a tripod to use, but didn't. All I did was use the hood of the motorhome as a rest and brace for my elbows while shooting the photographs. I alternated between the "Automatic" and "P" settings on the camera. I had to shoot fast as the total eclipse only lasted about two minutes in duration.

I couldn't be more pleased with the results I got.

I was located north of Roberts, Idaho (where the red line of the eclipse's path crosses Interstate 15, just below Highway 33 in the map below).



No comments:

Search This Blog