"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, June 17, 2024

Combating Fatigue On Long RV Drives

Above, an overnight rest stop at Circle Pines KOA in Williams, Arizona. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Being an early riser, I generally hit the road before the sun rises. If I am driving eastbound, having the sun in my face is not pleasant and it also causes me to get drowsy. With that in mind, I leave a little later so that the sun can be covered by the sun visor.

Whenever I am going on a long drive (over 200 miles), I will make it a point to stop for short coffee breaks. I usually make a pot of coffee before departing and bring some along in a Thermos. Or, if I am not in a hurry, I leave home early enough to allow myself an overnight stay midway to the destination. That's a great benefit of being retired.

Recently, I took a trip to California to attend a four-chapter campout of E Clampus Vitus at Rice Army Airfield in the Mojave Desert. About halfway there, I stopped in Williams, Arizona to stay overnight at Circle Pines KOA Kampground. It was an enjoyable break with nice surroundings. 

There are some other ways to combat drowsiness on long drives and Do It Yourself RV has posted some tips.

The begin with:

Long driving days in the old RV are just as taxing as a full day’s work in a physical labor craft. It’s mentally and physically draining, especially if you do it often. Playing the ABC game or “punch bug no hit-backs” will only take you so far. For some, long drives are invigorating, especially if the scenery is spectacular.

Regardless of your persuasion, it eventually takes a toll. It’s not hard to understand why RVers take on excruciatingly long trips from time to time. Reaching your destination, especially an exciting destination, is a keen motivator. On the flip side, it can be tiring, which is when things become dangerous.

It’s one thing to fall asleep at the wheel in a Toyota Prius, and quite another in an 18-ton Class A motorhome going 60+ mph. According to a study conducted by the AAA, 17.6% of all fatal crashes between 2017 and 2021 were due to drowsy driving, with nearly 30,000 people losing their lives as a result. With that being said, the most important focus is safety, with the comfort that comes from plenty of sleep and not overdoing it.

 To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog